As high schools across Los Angeles started online instruction last week, City Section Commissioner Vicky Lagos posted the following statement on the section website highlighting key athletic items as the 2020-21 school year begins:
Although this is not the opening that we are all used to, I am confident that we will be able to be there for our students. The CIF Los Angeles City Section staff and I are cautiously optimistic about the opening of athletics in December/January and are busy making plans with the safety and health of our community first and foremost in our minds.
We realize that these plans may have to change and thank you for your continuous patience, support, and flexibility in these fluid times.
I would like to share with you a few updates and reminders:
- Our sports calendar, as well as all information and updates, can be found on our website www.cif-la.org. I invite you to visit our site often as the calendar is a living document and will be updated periodically.
- The physical waiver that was provided from the State CIF has been rescinded. All student-athletes will be required to have an updated, completed, approved physical before they will be allowed to participate.
- There has been a modification of bylaw 207 for the 2020-21 school year. A financial hardship, with documentation, caused by the pandemic will be approved.
- Bylaws 600-605 have been suspended for the 2020-21 school year. Student-athletes will be allowed to participate on their high school and outside team concurrently.
- Student-athletes are, as always, permitted to participate in two or more sports during a season. However, they must comply with the 18 hours of contact per week at high school contests and practices. Contests count as three hours towards the 18 total hours permitted.
- Summertime rules have been extended through the beginning of the season of sport. All athletic programs are under the authority of the principal of the school.
While all dates are subject to change, as of Monday the first official practice day for all fall sports is Dec. 14 and the first allowable contest date is Dec. 26 in all sports except football, which opens Jan. 8.
This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.