Yoga Pose of the Month: Warrior III Pose
This month’s yoga posture is Warrior III Pose (Virabhadrasana III), which I taught to Dr. Damon Raskin, who is not only an internist in Pacific Palisades but who also has a monthly column in the Palisadian-Post. This intermediate balancing pose creates stability throughout your entire body by integrating all of the muscles throughout your core, arms and legs.
Benefits of Warrior III Pose:
Strengthens your legs, shoulders and back muscles.
Tones your abdomen and increases core strength.
Improves your balance and posture.
- You can adjust the position of your arms in this posture. For example, try stretching your arms out to the sides, like the wings of an airplane, or reaching them back, palms facing up, along the sides of your torso.
- If you are having difficulty balancing, try practicing this posture with a chair at an arm’s distance in front of you. Then lightly rest your hands on the chair for support.
- If you have any medical conditions, talk to your doctor before practicing this or other yoga poses.
- Begin by standing with your feet hip-distance apart and your arms at your sides.
- Next press your weight into your right foot as you lift your left leg and bring your body parallel to the floor as you extend your arms forward.
- Work towards bringing your arms, torso, hips and raised leg parallel to the floor, gazing forward a few feet in front of your body.
- Hold this posture for 30 seconds, before coming out and repeating for the same amount of time on the opposite side.
A yoga practitioner for over 35 years, Power helps children (and adults) unleash their imaginations through yoga. Since 2000, she has been teaching yoga in schools, yoga studios and local organizations, and has helped thousands of people develop a healthy attitude toward their bodies. Power is an internationally acclaimed yoga expert, keynote speaker and the bestselling, award-winning author of “The ABCs of Yoga for Kids” product line, which has been translated into many languages and sold ¼ million copies worldwide. She is also the founder of International Kids’ Yoga Day, an annual event that celebrates the health and wellness of our youth worldwide through the practice of yoga. For more information, visit abcyogaforkids.com and kidsyogaday.com.